Sunday, July 21, 2013

50.00 a week

I have decided to try something.  Thanks to my husband, I have a new IPad, and thanks to my daughter she gave me an Apple gift card so, "I can buy some cool Apps."  One of the cool apps I bought was a Account 2 Checkbook.  First let me tell you I am good with money.  I don't know why, but I am able to delay gratification and can live on very little.  I have always hated debt, but know that there are some things that just require debt for most average Americans.
Account 2 app makes me account for the areas my money must go into, which has not happened in the past.  I think I have learned a lot in my job dealing with different budgets, but knowing how a budget process works and putting it into action are very different.  I believe I have been doing a budget, but couldn't give the details that this app will provide.
My first thoughts are where do I spend the most money.  I was surprised that food was so high.  I began to comb through my pins to see what others are doing to help with the food budget. My inspiration was this blog.  Kristin said she and her husband lived on 30.00 a week when they were first married.  I thought about how much money I spend on food, and how much food is wasted.  I have not told my Sweet Man, but I am going to see if I can spend 50.00 a week on groceries for a month.  I think it is doable for two people because I have many things in the freezer and I have a lot of staples in the pantry. 
I will give an update on this idea to see what I can really do concerning the food consumed and wasted in our house.
This week's breakdown of food purchased.
  1. Organic Bananas - 1.52
  2. Red Bell Pepper -    .98
  3. Roma Tomatoes -   .30
  4. Store brand frozen chopped spinach - .98
  5. Store brand sliced Provolone - 3.98
  6. 1# cello carrots - .78
  7. Red Onion - .58
  8. Philly Style Hoagie rolls (on sale) 2.50
  9. Store Brand Whole Milk - 2.18
This totaled 13.80

What have I done with these items:

I made dinner for my daughter and her family Friday night.  Had pot roast in crock pot and served Crock Pot French Dip .  I used 4 of the six hoagie rolls.  My daughter and her family are vegetarians so I served them this Spinach Dip broiled in the toaster oven with Provolone and thin sliced tomatoes on top of the open faced hoagie rolls. I had the Spinach Dip in the freezer because when you make this recipe it makes a lot so I freeze it up in smaller amounts for occasions when I need to do something vegetarian.
I rarely buy whole milk, but my grandson is starting to drink whole milk so I want to have it at my house for him.  I cut up some of the carrots and the entire red bell pepper and served it with the French Dip and and the Spinach Dip.

For me this is a huge effort.  I have to plan meals - something I have been marginally doing.  I have to account for what I have now and try to buy smart.  The key to this is to see if my husband notices a difference in our meals.  He is so easy to please, that I think he'll not notice.

I am curious about the big items.  How will a 50.00 a week budget be impacted when you have to buy clothes soap, paper towels, tp, and meat.

I guess we will deal with those things as we move forward.

Ciao


This picture is to remind me that I can accomplish anything I put my mind to do.  I am very afraid of heights, but overcame to reach the top of this rock wall.  I can reduce, reuse, and stop wasting in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment